»

Thursday, June 4, 2015

So What's Been Goin' On?

I've been gone for a while, have you noticed? Hard to believe it's been so long since my last post! I'm working hard to try to get myself together and post on a regular basis again. In the meantime, I thought I would do a little re-cap of what's been happening since I last spoke to you.

It all started last year around the end of May. My Aunt Dottie (Dad's sister) had fallen and was taken to the hospital where they thought she had suffered a heart attack. Well, this started a downward spiral. For a little background, Dottie was pretty much my best friend growing up. She was one of those people who was easy to talk to and laugh with. I am extremely lucky to have had her in my life, and miss her each and everyday. She passed away in July of last year, it's still hard for me to believe that she is gone. To say she was a special person would be the understatement of the year. So here's to my sweet, kind, funny, silly, sometimes crazy, always supportive aunt.

Then, once things were starting to get a little back to normal, or my new normal, this happened...


Yep, that's me in the middle there. First accident. Ever. I was stopped at a red light and the girl driving the Infinity SUV (the one currently in my trunk in this picture), decided to go through us instead of waiting with the rest of us at the light. She hit me at approximately 45mph, no brakes at all. I then hit the cute hamster mobile (Kia Soul) in front, who in turn hit a Jeep Patriot in front of them. This was in August of last year. I'm still in the middle of sorting it out with her insurance company. Needless to say, it has taken me a long time not to be a nervous wreck behind the wheel. Not to mention all the therapy I have had to feel better. 

All was back to the way it should be. I had a nice Christmas. My husband and I returned from spending a few days with family, and two days later, we were at the emergency vet with our sweet Tabby cat, Mia. She had cardiomyopathy, and had been treated with meds for several years, received regular echos to make sure the meds were working properly. Unfortunately, you can do everything right and still run into problems. Our sweet Mia passed away in December of 2014. She was a mama's girl-a sweet soul, my first kitty. Just a complete lover. She was not with us long enough-only 5 years old, but we are so happy we had the time we did with her. She certainly made our lives better.


Let's just say that I do not miss 2014. Good riddance. However, good things were sprinkled in here and there. I started helping out (processing apps and such) for a rescue run by a childhood (elementary, middle, high school) friend. Sanctuary Rescue is one of those organizations that you are proud to be a part of. I am so glad to  be able to do even a little to find forever homes for some of the sweetest dogs you'll ever come across. I even had the pleasure of spending time with their sort of mascot, mostly queen of the rescue-Ella Super Beagle. She is a paralyzed puppy born to a breeder who searched for someone to rescue her as she couldn't sell her. Wouldn't you know, the wonderful folks at Sanctuary took her home, and even after vets suggested she be put to sleep, have been determined that whatever time she has is spent being happy. She is spoiled, loved, determined, hard headed, beautiful and hilarious. Check out her story here, and read a bit about Sanctuary.


In February, we decided that our kitty, Gizmo was lonely and missed his sister Mia. I was determined to find him a little buddy. We adopted Poppy cat from Independent Animal Rescue. It was a rough start. Let's just say maybe Gizmo wasn't quite as lonely as I thought. He and Poppy didn't see eye to eye, so it was a VERY slooooooooooow introduction. Now, however they get along just fine. Poppy is the typical annoying little sister. Gizmo is very patient, however, and I think most of the time, he's glad to have someone to pick on.
This is Gizmo: Isn't he handsome?
He has quite the quirky personality!

Needless to say, we have not been bored around here. I promise to get myself together and post more. I miss it. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, or at least check out the pictures! Look forward to talking to you again soon!

No comments: